Gum is the ticket to Love

This is one of the most memorable adds I have ever seen, its something that if I even mention it to my friends they would know what I am talking about, yes I am talking about this add for gum. This add is mainly memorable due to the fact that it was splayed so much as a commercial on TV or while we were watching YouTube, so there was absolutely no "not seeing it". This commercial was one of the most notorious commercial I can recall that uses the Lover Marks marketing technique, and for none other than mint gum. But I don't completely understand is why the company chose to market their gum as a Love Marker?
Whenever I see this commercial it makes me wonder as to how gum relates to lover at all? It makes me question whether the company had just went out on a limb and decided : lets try and make gum romantic. But the way they used Love marks in their commercial was actually in my opinion very clever since they were able to intertwine their gum in a cute way that was a main contributor to the love between the couple. they use the gum as a way to have a connection between the couple, mend their differing thoughts after thoughts, and it was also used as a way to bring back memories to eventually purpose. This was thought-out in such a great and complex way to make the story seem as real as possible so that people would be able to think themselves into that situation as I the answer to having a lover would be through a mint gum and a good artist. Even though people know that in reality a situation like this wouldn't actually happen they just see themselves in this situation as if it is real. For me in my own experience I can say that I personally don't think in the way that I would be in their situation, I personally thought it was just cute. But I have friends and family who have pointed out how this ad was romantic and cute to the extent where they would want to experience love in that way. 
The other thing is that the commercial is so different and memorable that it is what people can think of when they thing of gum, or when they want to buy gum, they remember this commercial because of how different or memorable it was. The other factor that contributes to this is how much exposure the ad had and how many people it has reached. This ad played non-stop and a YouTube ad and came on all of the time on TV commercials. Along with the cute and memorable message, combined with the amount of exposure it got, I would expect that the sales in gum could have gone up since people will remember this type of gum more if they remember the ad. 

Comments

  1. I agree with you completely. This ad is super cute and makes you wish you had love like that but in reality it most likely won't happen like that. However, I too think it is interesting how a gum company decided to make a mini love story as a way to promote their product. Personally, I think that choosing to use gum as the connection between the couple is clever because in real life I feel like a lot of people share gum anyways. Therefore, by making the act of sharing gum a little more romantic it captures and touches a lot of viewer's hearts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Metal straws are taking over the internet

The college outbreak