UC Stigmas


As the end of the year approaches, and seniors are leaving, my friends and I had a discussion about the stigmas and pressure of attending a UC. We had talked about how there is so much pressure of going to a UC especially considering the fact that we live in California, and for those that are, in the HISP program. We discussed the society's viewpoints on students going to a UC compared to a community or state college, which we didn't think that there was any problem going to a city or state college but apparently a lot of people care.

Many people, mainly those that we know are so focused on going to a UC or some extremely good college (but again, as we live in California and are in special programs such as HISP, PACE, etc.) because that is what's implemented in our heads. The people with the best grades get into the best college and get the best jobs in society. But all of the friends that was discussing this with me had al agreed that this stigma around going to a UC is putting more pressure on teens. I don't know why but some how going to a city or state college is not seen as so great compared to going to a UC, and I think this is what takes the toll on the students the most because as students we want to be seen as the best, smartest, and above others (*cough HISP kids) due to what social status we would be given and how we would be seen as depending on what college you go to.  And this even though it may not seem as big, it is presented to you in many more ways than you think  and the society in  programs inside and outside of school showcase what college you are going to. This of which adds to the pressure of once just going to college, to what college am I going to be attending?

But in so many ways is this used in society to cast your social status in high school before you even go to college, during, and after college when looking for a job. At our high school during the sports rally t the end of the year, it congratulates the seniors for graduating and tells the audience of a few hundred kids where they are going for college. When I went last year, every kid was either going to a UC or a really well known school except one, who was going to sac state. When this student's college was announced, I heard people around me laughing at her, and I was shocked and didn't understand what was wrong with attending sac state. But I understand the comparison of a city or state college compared to a UC or well known college. This one incident wanted me to go to a UC so I would be looked t differently by others if I ended up going to a city or community college, but there is also a thing called transferring after two years from a city or state college to a UC, which is a better and cheaper option in my mind. But that was still not as good compared to going to a UC straight out of high school. But my example clearly shows how the society will view what college you go to as a way of status, not to mention the million other ways you can be pressured to go to a certain college.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Metal straws are taking over the internet

Gum is the ticket to Love

The college outbreak